Week 2 Roundup

Posted on Monday, September 11th, 2017

THE VIKINGS of Thurso shot to the top of the table on goal difference thanks to a 7-1 win at home to Inverness Athletic. A 9th minute goal from Nigel Mackenzie gave Thurso the lead after an even start, and the same man put Thurso into control just after the half hour mark. Craig Stuart reduced the deficit two minutes later, as Thurso ended the half with the advantage of the odd goal in three. Persistent attacks from Thurso in the second half all but ended the game, however, as Inverness eventually succumbed to a heavy defeat; Michael Petrie adding a third in the 65th minute, before Stevie Morris snatched two goals in seven minutes. Nigel Mackenzie netted his hat-trick with five minutes of the game remaining before Andy Mackay rounded the game off with a lob over Athletic's Sandy Stephen. Highlights below are kindly provided by Darren Manson, Picture House. Photo credit: Niall Manson.

The first Easter Ross derby of the new season was won by Alness United thanks to a last minute goal against their closest neighbours and defending league champions Invergordon. At Dalmore Park, Ryan Stewart gave Alness the lead after 19 minutes before Niall Docherty levelled for the visitors a quarter hour before half time. Level at the interval, it was Invergordon who eventually took the lead through Neil MacDonald, who netted from a free kick with 23 minutes left on the clock. A fast paced finale saw Gordon Finlayson make it 2-2 before Ally Rose popped up to score the winner for United in the 90th minute.

St Duthus cruised to a 3-0 win and their first clean sheet of the season against travelling Halkirk United. A disallowed Rory Patience goal in the 18th minute was made up for just a minute later when Liam Rostock slotted the ball under James More to make it 1-0. Ken Morrison lashed an angled ball home on 51 minutes to make it 2-0 before Rostock netted his second of the afternoon getting on the end of a low cross from Adam MacDonald. Match photos kindly provided by Graeme Webster: https://www.flickr.com/gp/gjw75/0p36S3.

In the first round of the Football Times Cup, Golspie Sutherland put three past a revived Bunillidh Thistle at Couper Park. New signing Grant MacNab opened his account for the blues three minutes before the break, before Ally Macleod double his side's advantage immediately after the restart. A 71st minute goal from Cammy Sutherland ensured victory for Golspie and their place in the quarter final.

This past Wednesday at GlobalEnergy Stadium in Dingwall, Invergordon and Golspie Sutherland contested their quarter final match in the North of Scotland FA Cup. Graham MacNab gave Golspie the lead before Darran Goller levelled the affair in the second half. With the scores level at the end of play, Golspie emerged the victors via a penalty shoot-out, ending 7-6. The Sutherland men now go on to play Highland Football League side Lossiemouth in the semi final.